Saturday, July 02, 2005

John Wayne Gacy, Jr

Tonight I listened much more intently to Illinois, the new Sufjan Stevens album.. When an epic, enormous song is pulled into the album at #3, it seems that every song after which is just to help you come down from the climax; an unfortunate tendency that I have managed to put aside tonight. So this relates, because after the gigantic "Come On! Feel The Illinoise" is over, I listened and was nearly brought to tears by the horrifically beautiful song that follows, "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." This has to be one of the best songs I've heard this year - it sounds corny to say that I only love music that makes me feel something, but this song (like some before it) seems to communicate something amazing to me that is inexplicable by words. It's without a doubt the climax of the album to me now, and I am still just awe-stricken at how wonderful Illinois is in whole. Sufjan managed to achieve the same grandiose songwriting present in "Vito's Ordination Song" for an entire 70-something minutes. Don't be turned off by the Christian shtick or you're going to miss a masterpiece.

On another note, I was over at the Asthmatic Kitty website and noticed that they are no longer selling Illinois; a legal problem needs to be resolved concerning the artwork before they continue selling it. Whoops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home